Skip to content

Food Assistance

Food and Nutrition Banner

Community Action Partnership has food banks in Boundary County, Kootenai County, Shoshone County, Benewah County and Nez Perce County. People living in those counties who are income-qualified can access food through these CAP food banks and/or through linkages to other community food programs in their communities.

CAP food banks offer weekly assistance with perishable items. Depending on availability, households may receive bread, deli items, salads, dairy products, pastries, and fresh produce to help stretch food resources on a regular basis.

CAP food banks also provide food boxes that include approximately enough food items for three meals a day for one week for a given household size. Food boxes are available quarterly, and possibly more often depending on circumstances.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

TEFAP is managed by CAP food banks in Lewiston and Coeur d’Alene and supplies USDA commodities to food pantries in all the counties in northern Idaho. Food banks and pantries in northern Idaho may become “emergency feeding organizations” that are eligible to receive TEFAP commodities for distribution in their local communities.

Congregate Meals

Congregate meal sites are places like senior centers where lunch is served on weekdays to individuals age 60 or older. At senior centers people come together to enjoy a meal, meet and talk with friends, participate in health programs and find out about services. Some senior centers have transportation available from your home to the center.

Who qualifies?

  • Idahoans 60 years or older and their spouses, regardless of spouses' ages; and
  • Disabled people living in the home of person 60 years or older

Home Delivered Meals

Home delivered meals are nutritious meals that are delivered to homebound elders age 60 years or older and their spouses. Meals are prepared at local Senior Centers and delivered by local drivers. The drivers who deliver the meals make daily contact and check on the well-being of the elders they visit. Homebound elders may remain in their homes in part because of the delivery of hot, cold and frozen meals.

Who qualifies?

  • Idahoans 60 years or older and their spouses, regardless of spouses' ages
  • Disabled people living in the homes of those 60 years or older and
  • People who due to frailty are unable to participate in the Congregate Meal program or prepare a meal at home


CAP food banks need both financial and food donations to address hunger in our communities. If you would like to organize a food drive to help stock food bank shelves, contact your local CAP food bank to learn more about community needs and how you can help.

Volunteer Opportunities

CAP food banks rely on volunteers to help with daily operation of our nutrition programs. Contact your local CAP food bank to combat hunger in your community by volunteering.

For more information, please visit our Get Involved page.

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

“In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Contact Us

Call 208.746.3351 or 800.326.4843 or email for additional information and to determine eligibility of any of these services.

Lewiston office hours: M-F  8:00AM - 5:00PM, Lewiston Food Bank M-F 9:00AM - 4:00PM

2023 Income Guidelines by Program

Community Action holiday office closures 2023 & 2024