Medicare Fraud Prevention and Education
SMP - Senior Medicare Patrol Program
The SMP program helps Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries avoid, detect, and prevent health care fraud, errors and abuse. SMP trained volunteers share what they know to assist Medicare beneficiaries and their families.
Trained volunteers and staff provide:
- Group education and one-to-one counseling for beneficiaries to scrutinize Medicare billing information for deceptive health care practices, such as double-billing, overcharging, or providing unnecessary or inappropriate services.
Education opportunities (i.e. Scam Jams) for consumers and the public about other types of fraud and scams, such as financial exploitation, identity theft, computer scams, and mail and telemarketing scams.
Assistance for people who speak Spanish.
Learn about Medicare fraud, share what you know and help others - Volunteer now!
Contact Penny Wilhelm at the Area II Agency on Aging, 124 New 6th Street, Lewiston, ID 83501, 208-743-5580 or 1-800-877-3206.
Volunteer training is available online, in groups, or one-to-one.
Mentoring is provided to each volunteer.
- Appreciation and satisfaction is your reward!
- Video - Medicare Enrollment Fraud
- Moving? On Medicare? "To Do List" that will help
- CMS Medical Identity Theft Toolkit
- Senate Aging Committee Fraud Hotline
- Idaho Medicare Education Events
- The Affordable Care Act: What it Means for Seniors
- What to do after your personal indentifying information is stolen
- Recognize and prevent fraud scams: Money Smart for Older Adults’ Participant/Resource Guide
- Preventing Financial Fraud and Abuse Against Older Adults
- What To Do As a Victim of Identity Theft
- Guide for Assisting Identity Theft Victims
- Helping Victims of Identity Theft
- FTC Consumer Alert
- Preventing Identity Theft
- Top 10 Scams Targeting Seniors
- 22 Tips for Avoiding Scams and Swindles
- How to Join Medicare
- Report on Reverse Mortgage Advertising: Consumer Risks
- Senior Safety-Caring for the Ones You Love
- Idaho Coalition Against Identity Theft
- Senior Health Insurance Benefit Advisors (SHIBA)
- Fraud & Abuse - Medicare.gov
- Better Business Bureau
- Consumer Protection Division
- Idaho Legal Aid Services
- Senior Medicare Patrol National Consumer Protection Technical Resource Center